Tuesday, April 20, 2010

INTERVIEW WITH J.T. "PRIME TIME" HALL

JT Hall Interviews me

APRIL, 2010 INTERVIEW OF SHAWN RAINEY




1. What have you been up to lately?



Well JT, I have been training my butt off. I’m just getting ready for a few more meets this year. Also I have been working on getting my Personal trainers certification. I enjoy teaching and helping others achieve there goals.



2. How many years have you been competing?



Well I started competing in 1997 in high school and competed to 2001. Then I was badly injured with 2 slipped disc’s in my low back. I could barely walk little lone lift anything. So I had to give up lifting weights I thought for good. The doctor’s even wanted me to go in for surgery it was so bad. But after chiropractic and years off I have recently started again in January of 2009.



3. What is your biggest competition and training bench press?



I recently pressed 578.5 lbs at the WABDL Nationals and my best gym bench press has been 610 lbs.



4. What titles, records, ranking and achievements did you accumulate in your bench press career?



I’m 2 time WABDL National Champion , also I have broke the Class 1 men WA State record 3 times in my weight class (259) with 578.5 lbs. This currently has me ranked 2nd in the 259 class in the WABDL and Ranked 32nd in the 275 class across all federations in America. I was also the Best Lifter (Bench) of the 2010 WABDL Nationals. This was one of the major highlights for me. There was a lot of great bench pressers there.



5. Describe your training philosophy?



Well I like to say I train smarter not harder. I have learned to do this with age to keep from injuring myself like I did when I was younger. For the Bench I train in a shirt 7 out of 8 weeks on max effort days. But I also cycle board use in there so only once every 5 weeks I will go full range with the weight. I like to start with week one with a 4 board and then week 2 with a 3 board and so on and so forth, each week taking away 1 board and I try to maintain the same weights or as close as possible. This gets my body use to heavier and heavier loads without destroying my body every week. I also do all my max effort stuff with sets of 3 reps and I try to do about 8 to 10 sets on bench days. On Speed days I do sets of 5 or 6 reps, but same number of sets. Also on speed bench days I alternate Bands and chains or both and they are always full range. I keep these raw and around 50% of my max most of the time. I try to apply some of the same types of cycling and training for my dead lift and squat as well.



6. Do you compete equipped or unequipped (no suits) or both?



I compete equipped mostly but I have done a few raw bench meets. I don’t train for raw so I’m not nearly as good at them. And I really believe heavy benching on my shoulders without a shirt breaks them down too much. I also have some long term goals and I know that the bench shirt will help me stay in the sport long enough to have a chance at them.



7. Why do you compete in only bench press competitions or push-pull competitions?



Well when I was younger I did a lot of full meets. Now that I have got back into powerlifting I wanted to come back and concentrate on one lift till I could get my squat and dead lift up before I came back to do a full meet. I plan on doing an APF full meet in Aug. here in Portland OR. Recently I have Squatted 700 lbs with just knee wraps and belt. So I think I’m about ready to start to suit up and train for a squat in a meet. The Only major weakness I currently have is my inconstant dead lift but I’m working on that. I changed my stance a year ago to release pressure in my back so I’m still in the process of learning this. So to answer your question I just wanted to be ready for a full meet before I did one and doing push pull and bench meets are helping me get ready.



8. What is the most impressive lifter you competed against?



Well years ago I competed against (not same weight class thou) Ryan Kennelly. Wow is he explosive. But as of recent I would have to say Adrian Larsen. I train with him as well on Max effort days in Oregon City. This man is one of the most power-full men I have met. See the thing is he has a medical problem where his hips/legs can’t bend much so he can’t put his feet on the floor when he bench’s. So he has to balance his body on the bench while he is benching with no leg support or leg drive. And I have seen him put up over 700 lbs on many occasions. He is also a great guy and is always promoting the sport and helping others. He is truly a class act.



9. Who do you think is the greatest lifter of all time?



Wow, well I’m not going to go into drug free or untested because it’s not my place too. But as far as benching goes, probably Ryan Kennelly or Scot Mendelson. Full power lifter it’s no question, its Ed Coan.



10. How has the sport changed when you first started competing?



Well since the 90’s is changed a lot with gear. I remember you were lucky to get 40 lbs out of the old inzer shirts, now with the rage x’s and super katana’s and apex shirts wow some get 300+ out of there shirt’s. Of course its not like they just put them on and boom add 300 lbs. The Bench has become much more technical. If a lifter doesn’t spend the time to learn what they need to, to get the most out of there shirt they will be left behind. Its part of the sport just like many other sports ie, pole vault, javelin, football, baseball ect. Every sport has its technical advance’s to push the sport.



11. How do you prepare for an upcoming competition?



I pretty much just follow the training I described above, and I make sure I am confident in the weight ranges I will be attempting during the meet. And that comes from time under the bar with the heavy weight during your board cycle’s.



12. Describe your nutritional intake for an upcoming competition?



Well I pretty much eat, eat, and eat all the time. I try to take down 350 to 400 grams of protein a day. I also take creatine, USPLabs Prime, USPLabs Jack3d, USPLabs PowerFULL, Fish Oil, DHEA, Joint Supplements, Potassium, and L Glutamine. If I have to cut weight for the meet Ill trim my carbs back and even some protein if needed and then sweat off the last 10 lbs or so. I find it beneficial to train at a heavier weight than comp weight. Then cut down and after weigh-ins put it back on since most of the cut is water.



13. How many meets do you compete in a year?



When I was younger I did as many as 8 or 9 a year now I’m going to keep it to 3 to 5 range and maybe toss in one raw bench meet a year too.



14. Who is your greatest competitor?



I don’t really have one just yet but I guess I will say myself at this point.





15. How does today’s judging compare to yesterday judging?



In the WABDL it’s been pretty close to the same, a few rule changes over the years but as far as fair judging I would say it’s been damn good. I can’t say for other feds because I don’t have enough experience to give a fair judge about it.



16. There are probably 50 different federations. Do you think this is a good thing or bad thing?



I think it’s a good thing but I would also like to see more affiliations like the IPF does with the USAPL. I think this would be a good way to get more unity in the sport. And tie us together as all powerlifters. We have enough divisions with the raw, single and multi ply that I think a reorganization of these would not only benefit the sport and its lifters but also the feds them self’s in the long run.



17. Is the IPF World Championship still the top and most prestigious title to win?



I think in single ply full power yes. But for other areas of powerlifting such as bench only or push pull or multi NO



18. Do you think drug testing is a good thing or bad thing?



I think it’s good because the public demands it from its top sports so why not in powerlifting. But I also think its good we do have fed’s that are untested or “pro” for those who wish to maximize their bodies past what can normally be achieved. And I could go into a whole book worth of talk about drugs in sports so I’ll leave that to another time maybe.



19. What is your greatest memory from competing?



Watching some of my team mates progressing and achieving there goals they put in blood, sweat and tears for. This is what the sport is about, and I have been blessed to see some great things in this sport!





20. What advice & tips would you give to a beginner bench presser or powerlifter?



Well 1st I would tell them to find a good experienced powerlifter in their area that is willing to help them and make sure they are using good form and training properly. So after they have a base to work from, they should take proper and enough supplements to help their body recover from the work outs. I would also recommend getting some good training partners and/or spotters as they are very important as you get stronger. And Last to just have fun and enjoy the sport!





21. How has powerlifting changed your life?



Powerlifting gave me a direction and goals in my life. If I didn’t have it I would probably just be wasting away playing video games or something worthless.





22. Do you stay in touch with lifters you compete against?



Yes a lot of them I do, or at least try to as most of them ask for help. I enjoy helping my fellow lifters as others in the past did for me.



23. When is your next meet and what numbers are you looking to put up?



My Next meet will be in July in Olympia WA at a WABDL meet. I’m looking to hit a 600 lbs dead lift and get 625 to 650 bench. Right now I’m on a perfect pace. I have been hitting 700 lbs off 3 and 4 board the last few weeks and I feel like I’m getting stronger every week.



24. While you were competing, what is your main goal?



If I think I can win or have a shot at it that is my goal. But if there is someone there that is just out of my league its to PR and learn from them. No matter how good you get you can always learn something new from a fellow lifter. Lastly at the end of the day its just to have fun. We all do this sport because we love it.



25. Any major injuries you sustain while competing or training for upcoming meet?



Last year I broke my hand in 5 places but it wasn’t because of training, I just fell down some wet stairs like an oaf! Lol… So that took about 4 months or so to start benching again with any kind of weight. So it was like catching up the last 5 months. So I made a vow to myself not to do any stupid risky things because I am dedicating myself to powerlifting over the next 5 to 10 years.



26. What do you think about pro powerlifting or pro bench press meets that give out cash?



I really like the idea and I hope I get invited to some in the future.



27. Why did you decide to compete?



Because I have always had that competitive spirit in my and it gives me direction in life and keeps my head on straight. Also it keeps me out of trouble, but that is another story for another time. ;-)



28. What would you like to change about today’s bench press or powerlifting competitions?



I would like to see more get involved in the sport. I think a lot of people think they need to be world class to start to lift in meets and that is just not the case. So I guess I would like to see the fed’s spending more time recruiting new blood into the sport. I think that would be a great thing all around!



29. What would you like to change about today’s bench press or powerlifting judging?



As the WABDL fed goes I think there judging is just right and is very fair. As far as a whole I would like to see it a bit more standardized and I think this could happen if more feds joined forces to become affiliations with one another like IPF and USAPL for example. But that is more of rule standardizing than judging but I think they go hand and hand with each other.



30. Which meet you competed in is your #1 or most prestigious meet?



Well back in 2001 it was WABDL worlds and I guess currently it has been there nationals. I hope to do the Arnold someday but who knows if they will invite me. There is a lot of politics with that meet and getting an invite.



31. Why do you think some lifters are haters?



LOL, well it’s easy for someone to hide behind their computer on the net and talk shit. It’s not like these people do this to your face. So I just laugh about it really. And you can’t make everyone happy, so I just try to move on.



32. Anyone you would like thank for helping you along the way in Powerlifting career?



Well I got a lot of people I would like to thank, my dad for helping me and supporting me in my early days of powerlifting. He went to all my meets and coached me and did his best to try to help me do my best. I want to thank my girl friend Tamara, she is also one of my training partner’s and she supports me and love’s me in any endeavor I do. She is a true inspiration to me. My other training partners AJ, Adrian, Ben and all of Primal Power, they are great and have helped me massively over the last few months. I want to thank my sponsors for the great support they have provided me, APT (www.prowriststraps.com) and USPLabs (www.usplabsdirect.com). I would also like to thank all the lifters out there I compete with and don’t compete with for making this, such a great sport, and Gus and all of the WABDL for having such a great fed to compete in. Thank you everyone for all that you have done for me and Powerlifting. And last I would like to thank J.T. Hall for giving me this opportunity, thanks J.T.

Thank you Shawn!

TRAIN HARD

"BIG WILLIE" J.T. HALL


YOU CAN READ ALL INTERVIEWS AND SEE HIS BLOG HERE

http://www.houseofpain.com/blog.html?search_author=9

No comments:

Post a Comment